Chad is so cold and feels so bad all the time...It's a little bit of a cold, flu, sinus infection or something. Imagine this - It's like you have been suffering from the most awful cold for about six months and nothing helps you recover. I wish there was something I could do or offer him to make him feel better...But the only thing I can do is pray that he will somehow feel better soon. He just has no immune system to fight the little things that we are all exposed to everyday. It makes me sometimes feel guilty for being well!
There is a billboard sign as I leave town everyday that has current events in our town for that week/month etc. Well for the past couple of days it has advertised a Blood Drive at a local church that was today! Well I kept thinking about it and decided on my way home tonight that I was going to go by and if there was no line I was going to donate. I used to donate all the time but ever since Isabel was born I had gotten out of the habit.
Well as I walked in and was the ONLY one in line I decided it was a sign that I needed to be there. Isabel was with me and probably was more interested in the snack table than the blood donation (although she held my hand while they stuck me).
Since I was the only one there and at the same time in walked a reporter from the Herold to do a story on the blood drive...so guess who was the target of the story line...you got it!
So I guess the woman who was there after a long day at work on a very cold January evening with her cute four year old daughter, and her husband who has cancer makes a good story. I guess I get to be in the paper...hopefully it does not end up on the front page.
The donation took all of 15 minutes (as I am a good candidate) and I was out the door with stickers, snacks and apple juice (for Isabel and Jordan of course).
So the moral of the story...take some time this year if you are a good blood donation candidate and go donate. Every donation can save up to three lives and is so worth the time and effort. I am so glad that I could help even in that small way. Maybe it was my way of contributing to Chad's recovery effort somehow. I think back to right before his surgery in October when they were discussing blood types and transfusions if needed. I am thankful that the blood was available even though he did not end up needing it at the time.
Since the last two snowy days the city blood supply is at a critical low...help out if you can and go visit your local Community Blood Center or the American Red Cross!
God bless and stay warm...
Love,
Jackie
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You are right. I need to give blood. Thanks for the reminder and for being a good example! LY
Post a Comment